In an effort to better understand trends in cosmetic dentistry, the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD) has completed several surveys over the years, asking their members to participate in an online questionnaire. The latest study was completed between October 17 and November 18, 2013. 659 dentists from around the country answered questions about their practice, the community where they are based, and the patients that they treat. A lot of helpful information was gathered, but I found the data regarding the patients to be most interesting, focusing on who is being treated, why they chose to undergo a cosmetic dental treatment, and what types of procedures they are having done. Some of the highlights included:
- 60% of patients are female and 40% are male.
- The age range of patients is fairly evenly distributed, with 56% falling between the ages of 31 and 60.
- When asked about why patients receive cosmetic dental procedures, the overwhelming majority (89%) cited an improvement in appearance and self-esteem as the motivation for their visit.
- Other reasons given for receiving a cosmetic dental treatment includes health reasons, a special event (ie, wedding), to look and feel younger, to improve career success, and to improve a romantic relationship.
- The most common procedures were found to be (in order from greatest to least); crowns and bridge work, whitening, bonding, veneers, implants, orthodontics, and other.
From the data collected, it’s clear to see that people of any age and for whatever reason are seeking cosmetic dental treatments. One of the only generalizations you can make from the survey is that the majority of patients are seeking treatments in an effort to improve their appearance, self-esteem, and health. Several other studies have found that the most memorable and impressionable trait is your smile, making it understandable that misshapen, discolored, broken, or missing teeth can have a very detrimental effect on your self-esteem. Technological developments in the field of cosmetic dentistry have increased access and decreased cost, pain, and treatment times. If you are unhappy with the appearance of your smile, contact us today and find out how we can help.