One of the joys of cosmetic dentistry is improving the quality of life of patients by helping them achieve the bright, white smile of their dreams. While this statement may sound vane (how can altering one’s smile really improve quality of life?) there has actually been scientific research conducted that proves smiling effects many aspects of life, not only appearance, but confidence, interpersonal relationships, and even career success. I recently read about some of these studies in the article, “Health Benefits From Smiling,” found on the LIVESTRONG.COM website, a group dedicated to helping people reach their full potential.
According to the research cited in the article, frequent smiling:
- Gives the impression of being in control, at ease, and more attractive than those who don’t.
- Dramatically improves mood, lifting your spirit and that of those around you.
- Improves confidence, making it easier to make friends and can even help you succeed at work.
- Leads to a more positive effect in your environment. Smiling can actually be heard, that is you can tell when someone is smiling simply by listening to their voice. This “happy” speaker is found to be much more effective than their counterpart.
- Helps reduce symptoms of anxiety. Chronic stress does significant damage to the body and mind. By reducing stress, one can lower blood pressure, improve digestion, and regulate blood sugar.
Clearly, smiling is quite influential and can have a huge impact on our day-to-day lives. Imagine you’ve had an accident and lost one of your front teeth. Would you be as inclined to smile frequently? Or maybe you’ve had crooked or discolored teeth your whole life, with limited access to dental care. Would flashing your “pearly whites” come easily to you? Whatever the reasons, having a smile that you are ashamed or embarrassed of is no laughing matter. But thanks to recent technological developments and the gaining popularity of cosmetic dentistry, repairing or improving your best asset is now easier than ever. At Miami Dental Sedation Spa, Dr. Luis Sanchez and Dr. Gabriel Vidal offer a wide array of treatments to help you obtain the smile of your dreams. From teeth whitening to dental implants, they provide expert dental care in a serene environment. Don’t let your less-than-perfect smile hold you back any longer.