Did you know that the day after Thanksgiving is National Floss Day? In addition to getting some of the best shopping deals of the year, the Friday after Turkey Day is a great opportunity to brush up on your flossing skills and get some of that leftover feast out from between your teeth. While most people know that you should floss at least once a day, many don’t know the most effective technique. Here’s a step-by-step guide from the American Dental Association (ADA) to make sure you’re flossing the right way this Black (or maybe we should call it “Plaque”) Friday.
- Break off approximately 18 inches of floss and wind much of it around each of your middle, or pointer fingers.
- Hold the floss tightly between your thumbs and forefingers.
- Guide the floss between your teeth using a gentle rubbing motion. Avoid snapping the floss into the gums.
- When the floss reaches the gum line, curve it into a C shape against one tooth. Gently slide it into the space between the gum and the tooth.
- Hold the floss tightly against the tooth. Gently rub the side of the tooth, moving the floss away from the gum with up and down motions. Repeat this method on the rest of your teeth.
Once you’ve finished flossing each tooth, discard the floss. Re-using floss is not a good idea, as it won’t be as effective and could leave bacteria in your mouth. If you have any other questions, your dentist and dental hygienist are great resources. The dental professionals at Miami Dental Sedation Spa wish you a very happy and safe Thanksgiving!