April is Oral Cancer Awareness Month. Have you had your screening yet?
All patients who make an appointment for a cleaning in April will receive a free oral cancer screening. Schedule your appointment today!
Early detection is key in treating and surviving oral cancer. An estimated 43,250 new cases are diagnosed each year. Survival rate at 5 years after this diagnosis is only 57%. It is vital that you do regular self-examination and that your dentist does an oral exam at least once per year.
Historically, the death rate associated with oral cancer is high, not because it is difficult to diagnose, but because the cancer is routinely discovered late in its development. Miami Dental Sedation Spa uses an early detection test that is easy to do and non-invasive.
Contact us today to schedule your screening.
Oral Cancer Facts:
- An estimated 25% of oral cancer patients have no known risk factors.Oral Cancer Facts:
- Alcohol & tobacco are the greatest risk factors; when used together, the risk is 15 times greater.
- Think smokeless tobacco is a healthier alternative? Nope. You are 400% more likely to get oral cancer than non-users.
- Oral cancer has typically been found in men & women over 40 years of age, but has been on the rise in those under 40.
- Men are almost twice as likely as women to develop oral cancer.
- Stay out of the sun! Prolonged sun or tanning bed exposure can cause lip cancer.